Jesus said, “Let the children come to me, and do not keep them away, for it is to those who are childlike that the Kingdom of the Heaven is available.” Matthew 19:14
At Asbury United Methodist Church, we believe in providing a loving, accepting, caring, and safe environment for children of our community and their families, as we connect to the presence of God, while growing in our faith together, centered in Jesus Christ, as we celebrate and serve our community with love.
Director of Children’s Ministry
Phone: 925-447-1950 ext. 105
Office: Room 7
Download the Children’s Registration Form.
Throughout the year Asbury offers many fun family events such as:
- Easter – activities include the waving of the palms on Palm Sunday and a family Easter egg hunt.
- A Musical – choir children 3rd grade to High School practice and perform in a musical each May.
- Vacation Bible School – VBS is an exciting faith-filled week for ages 4 years old through 5th grade. It is traditionally held in late July, early August.
- Family Church Camp – we camp and fellowship together for three nights and four days. For a few years now we have been going to LARPD’s Camp Shelly in Lake Tahoe.
- Movie Nights, Game Nights, and Picnics
- Dine and Dawdle – Thursday evenings in the summer families come to Asbury to have a meal prepared by the Fellowship team with themes including a dessert bake off, a chili cooking contest showdown with prizes to be won, and a live dinner theater night.
- Sundae Sunday – we have an ice cream social to kick off the start of a new Sunday school and choir season in late September.
- Family Service Projects – projects we have done and continue to do include cleaning up parks, sorting and stocking items for Tri-Valley Haven’s thrift store, working in the Fertile Ground Works garden, which produces fresh produce for Open Heart Kitchen, build play houses for those in need with Habitat for Humanity, collect food for the Alameda County food bank, Operation Christmas Box, and the Back to School Backpack project.
- Advent – Advent activities include a Christmas Concert, featuring all the choirs from children to adult and homemade cookies following the program, the Children’s Christmas Pageant with a soup and sandwich dinner, and Christmas Caroling, where we visit and sing to those who making it to church can be a challenge and deliver them homemade cookie.
In addition to special events, we collect special offerings where our children can serve our community with love. Some of the organizations we have supported include the Heifer Project, Open Heart Kitchen, Alameda County Food Bank, Fertile Ground Works, Habitat for Humanity, Tri-Valley Haven, UMCOR, and UNICEF.
We are please to be able to offer a wide variety of activities for our children and their families. We need wonderful volunteers to help make them happen. Contact us to see how you can support the amazing children of our community by letting the light of Christ shine through you in a meaningful way.
Children’s Ministry Committee
Our committee meets quarterly to discuss upcoming events, plan curriculum, and discuss how things are going in our program. Our goal is to provide our children with a meaningful experience of God, to provide a safe environment for them to learn more about themselves, while connecting with others in positive ways.
- Pam Tegge
- Jennifer Bernstein
- Keri Gnecco
- Nancy Deis
- Renee Haugen
- Kellie Campos