Serve Others with Love
Our mission is to foster spiritual growth through living our faith in Christian service. Our goals include:
1. Offering regular monthly opportunities for service. This means one or two projects, workdays or other activities each month.
2. Encouraging regular giving to outreach opportunities. This includes donations from the church budget and individual members, congregation offerings and donation of goods and services.
3. Offering in-depth mission trips and outreach projects. We expect to do two or three mission trips per year and sponsor/lead one major local ongoing effort (such as a Habitat project).
4. Fostering regular communication and engagement with core outreach relationships. We have connectional leaders with each of our major relationships (such as Open Heart Kitchen, Livermore Homeless Refuge and others) and feature one of these relationships each month with the congregation.
5. Providing regular visibility of service opportunities through worship announcements, the Asbury website and other means such as the Serve Others With Love information table each Sunday.
6. Offering ways for participants to talk about what service means in their faith journey. This is through newsletter or website articles or mission moments during worship.
Projects and Organizations – Asbury’s Mission and Outreach
- Asbury supports many local and international organizations that help people in need. It is one way our faith community puts love into action. For example, we are currently helping to sponsor a program in Haiti that provides school lunches and access to computers, clean water and solar power. Click on the Haiti Mission Tab for more details.
- Some organizations are supported primarily by budgeted contributions or by special fund raising. Other organizations are supported primarily by individual and group volunteers. The mix of financial and volunteer support for an organization may change from year to year depending on the focus, interests and abilities of the congregation. At present, Asbury is major sponsor of ongoing work at Tri Valley Haven, Habitat for Humanity, Open Heart Kitchen, Fertile Groundworks and the Livermore Homeless Refuge.
- Additional needs can be served as individuals see a need and reach out to help. In recent years such efforts have included humanitarian aid in the Philipines and Africa. We annually form teams to help with disaster relief and recovery. As described in the Mission Trips section, recent work includes wildfire recovery in California, tornado recovery in Oklahoma and Alabama, hurricane recovery in Louisiana and our ongoing mission in Haiti. Regionally we have a commitment to assist with maintenance and repairs at a church camp in the Sierras.
- And lastly, we host a variety of outreach ministries on the church campus. Each week we offer meals in the Fellowship Hall by teaming with Open Heart Kitchen. We offer showers and laundry to homeless and low income clients each Wednesday. During the winter we are part of a church rotation offering a warm, dry place to stay by teaming with the Livermore Homeless Refuge. Fertile Groundworks is based at the Garden of Grace on the church campus. And we annually host programs such as Tri-Valley Haven’s Thanksgiving food distribution and Holiday gift giving program.
Click the menu choices to get brief overviews of organizations and project that have been supported regularly for many years. For more information about Asbury’s outreach and missions efforts, contact Steve Elliott or the church office.