We are pleased to announce our first refugee resettlement. It is a mother and two young boys, 9 and 12 years of age. They are originally from Yemen, but have been living at a refugee camp in Turkey for several years. More information to follow when we have it. But for now, we are told they arrive Oakland Airport the evening of Monday, May 9th. They will most likely settle in Oakland, especially since there are school options that would fit the kids.
Each church, Asbury, Lynnewood and SRVUMC, is sharing the tasks, costs and needed donations. The initial list for Asbury includes:
– Providing one or two people to help with the airport welcome.
– One of the volunteers to assist with Apartment readiness (cleaning and setup).
– Two volunteers to assist our team with Apartment paint/fix preparations.
– One volunteer to assist with hauling household goods and furniture to the apartment.
– One of several volunteers to do initial grocery shopping and stocking of pantry.
– Providing the following furniture: sofa (Chelsea), coffee table (Steve).
– Someone to go buy the following kitchen supplies: cooking utensils, measuring cups, can opener, glasses and cups, cutting board, cutting knives and dish rack. We can reimburse you. Prefer thrift store purchase.
Contact Steve Elliott or stop by the Serve Others Table after worship if you can help with any of these initial tasks. Your questions are welcome, as well. I realize we lack a lot of details here as to time, place and effort, but we will fill that in as we get organized. There will be many other ways to help as this resettlement unfolds. Just let Steve know of your interest.